Toledo
On Saturday we (our ISA group) went
to Toledo! We met at the bus station around 9:00 AM. The ride was only about an
hour long so it wasn’t that bad, I listened to my iPod and looked out the window
but there wasn’t much to see. And then we arrived and wow! Toledo is beautiful;
we took a mini bus tour and then got out to take some pictures from a distance.
I got my first O-H-I-O picture there! After that we began our walking tour, first
we went to el Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes, a really pretty cathedral in
Toledo. Then we had a twenty minute snack/bathroom break. My host mom packed my
roommate and me a snack/lunch so we ate some of it. Then we went on to el Museo Sefardí-Sinagoga del Tránsito. Our tour guide said that there are only two
Jewish synagogues left in Toledo and they are both museums only because the
majority of the population in Toledo is Catholic anyway. The museum wasn’t as
pretty or exciting as the cathedral but it was alright.
| O-H-I-O |
Our next stop was Santo Tomé Church and we saw El Greco’s painting “The Condo
de Orgaz burial.” We couldn’t take pictures but it was really impressive! So we
were there about then minutes to look at the painting and then our tour was
over. But first our guide led us to the main part of town, the main square, so
we could grab lunch if we wanted and explore or in my case, shop. So that was
Toledo. We left around 4:00 PM and got home around 5:00. Then, um… honestly I
can’t remember. I think my roommate and I stayed in and painted our nails? That
sounds right. We were really tired so we kind of just relaxed for a bit. I’m embarrassed
to admit that, we are such bums. Anyway, Toledo was great and I’d love to go
back. Perhaps I can go again with my dad and my aunt when they come to visit. Hopefully
it won’t be quite as stiflingly hot then!
El Rastro and Buen Retiro
| Buen Retiro |
Every
Sunday mornings in Madrid they hold a flea market, called el Rastro, from 8:00 AM
to 2:00 PM. My roommate and I met a friend there around 10 and we stayed until
noon. I bought a couple things, two bracelets, two pairs of earrings and a
dress all for less than twenty Euros! Then we went home, napped, had lunch and
napped again. We’re taking advantage of the siestas here I suppose. When we
finally awoke and decided to rejoin the world, we went to Buen Retiro Park
again. My roommate wanted to go running so we met two of our friends and they
jogged/walked for about an hour and a half while I walked around taking photos
(in the daylight this time, fortunately) and laid in the grass reading my book.
It was very peaceful, something that I might do quite a bit actually since
Madrid really won’t get that cold and I need the fresh air/sunshine.
| Buen Retiro |
El Palacio Real
Yesterday
(Monday) we took a school trip to the Royal Palace. For me, it’s about a five
minute walk to the Royal Palace from where I live and somehow I hadn’t been
yet! Maybe I was waiting for the free trip? Anyway, it was really nice, maybe a
little bit too much detail, but… just kidding. There was so much detail in the
architecture and wallpaper and rugs and oh my goodness gracious. It was a bit…
gaudy I guess. Beautiful! But it was too much for me to handle. Our tour was
alright, it was in Spanish and I was able to understand it pretty well but I
started spacing out because it was a tad boring. I’m the kind of person who
would rather look, not listen. I don’t mind reading about it but there was so
much information and it was hot aside and we couldn’t take pictures. But it was
a good time, I’m not complaining, I promise! I am just sharing my observations
and feelings.
| El Palacio Real |
Near
the palace, outside the gates, are the Sabatini Gardens. We didn’t get to
explore them yesterday; I don’t think it’s technically part of the palace? I
don’t know but it might be free so I’ll go back later and take pictures. I need
to look it up, see what it’s all about and if it’s open to the public. I’m
assuming so but you never know. It looks amazing through the fence anyway so I
could just walk around it.
I think that about catches all of you up,
today I was a major bum, oops. Got back from class, ate lunch, took a two hour
nap, did my homework, sat at my computer the whole time, etc. But as an
introvert I needed this and I am okay with it so don’t worry! And don’t get mad
that I’m not seeing the city or being social! I have so much time to do all
that, I don’t want to do everything at once, I need to spread it all out and I
am making friends. At least I think so. J Anyway, I’m going to Mallorca this weekend (a Spanish
island in the Mediterranean Sea, for those of you who don’t know) so I probably
won’t blog again until after the trip. We leave Friday night and get back
Monday night (no classes that day woo!). So until then, hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment